ZUCCHINI AND CARROT CAKE WITH LEMON VANILLA CREAM-CHEESE ICING
This is the cake featured on the cover of my book I Am Food - Eating Your Way To Health. Delightful, delicious, delicate, satisfying and wholesome, this could possibly be one of my favourite cakes. You can eat this for breakfast or as a snack on the run – it’s a complete meal (and it’s grain free!).
Serves 8 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour
4 eggs, separated
150 g raw honey
finely grated zest of 1 small lemon (reserve the juice for the icing)
150 g almond meal or ground activated almonds
1 carrot, grated
1 small zucchini (courgette), grated
1/2 teaspoon natural salt
fresh fruit, to serve (optional)
Lemon Vanilla Cream-Cheese Icing Ingredients
juice of 1 small lemon
½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
1 cup (200 g) fresh curd or store-bought Quark or ricotta cheese
1 tablespoon raw honey
Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan-forced). Line a 20 cm spring form cake tin with baking paper and oil the side with coconut oil.
2. In a bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
3. Place the egg yolks in a second bowl, add the honey and beat until creamy. Add the lemon zest, almond meal or ground almonds, carrot, zucchini and salt and blend until combined. Gently fold in the egg white, then pour into the prepared cake tin.
4. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Place the tin on a wire rack to cool completely.
5. To make the icing, mix together all the ingredients in a bowl.
6. Spread the icing over the cooled cake and serve as is, or with fresh fruit. The cake will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Variation: Double the quantities for the cake batter and make 2 cakes, sandwiched together with icing, for a decadent but healthy feast! This is what we did in the photo, but of course it’s just as delicious as a single iced cake.